cobble hill farm coop girls

cobble hill farm coop girls

zucchini flower

growing sunflowers

french bulldog with ivdd

Our weekend started off with great news.  On Thursday we took Oliver back to his surgeon to have his staples removed and for a check-up.  Dr. Bishop was thrilled with his progress.  I can't tell you how much relief it was to hear that.  We have nothing to gauge him by since we don't personally know anyone who has been through this with their dog.  Since the surgeon does this surgery numerous times a week and has many dogs to gauge this by, I think that's pretty darn good news.  He was so thrilled that Ollie gets to skip the 2nd check-up and wait for the third one in 5 weeks.

The great news hasn't stopped my worrying though.  The little man wants so badly to do more and we have to watch him every single second he isn't in his crate.  Even when he is, actually, because he gets a bit charged up.  I want to prevent us from going backwards in any little way.

We will continue with strict crating and letting him walk very minimally until his next check-up.  His spirits are better but his frustration is growing, as you can imagine, with the ongoing crating.  His fur continues to be quite funny looking since the person who shaved him didn't go in any particular design and certainly not in a straight line.  What we did discover, however, on his shaved little chest is what looks like a heart.  Do you see it in the photo above?  {p.s. that's food on his nose - the boy is still on steroids and has a massive appetite!}

He is also still drinking a ton {thank you to the steroids} but holding it much better.  However, he still only can hold it for 4-5 hours.  I had been going to bed just after 10 so I could let him out fairly late, and then getting up around 4 to minimize the amount of urine filling his puppy pad and crate.  I felt awful for him because I know it upset him when he went in his crate.  Well now that he's with it a bit more, he has realized he would like to hold it and let me know when he can't hold it any longer.  That is around 3a.m.  That's when we get the "I need to go NOW" barking.  So, we still go to bed late, allowing him to go out right before we go to sleep, and then I run down the stairs around 3 when I get the call.  One more week on these meds......

The signs of summer coming to an end and fall on it's way are showing up more and more.  Although our temp's this week are hot and humid - not typical for this time of year, I can feel the changes and am so excited to welcome the next season.  I had hoped to have a cold frame or two built this year, but that's going to have to be put on the back burner.

Sunday's farmer's market was slower than most but our numbers in the end were still right up there.  With American Pharoah in town to run in the sold out traverse race, I think most locals stayed away.  I don't blame any of you.  We did too, until Sunday's market.  It's also the end of summer for kids going back to school, so I'm sure many of you were getting in a bit of last minute vacations and time with the kids.

The Coop Girls are doing well. They are enjoying the end of summer garden clean-out more than you can imagine.  They are recipients of so many goodies these days that they heckle me when I go near the garden and come out with nothing for them. It just doesn't go over well.

We are still swimming in tomatoes.  Once again I planted way too many.  Every year I tell myself to use some control when it comes to growing them and every single year I get a bit crazy.  At least I controlled myself on the squash this year.

One more month until J officially runs the business full-time.  We are so excited.  Excited to possibly have an evening or Saturday where we don't have to work and excited to start growing the business again.  Excited and hopeful that this may someday become both of our full-time jobs.....

On the menu this week:  Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Risotto and Steamed Green Beans; Chicken & Pasta with Spinach Cream Sauce; Grilled BBQ Chicken Quarters with Rice and Tomato Tart; Grilled Burgers with Home fries and Marinated Cucumbers; Grilled Sea Bass with Mango Salsa, Rice & Steamed Broccoli; and Beef Teriyaki with Potstickers and Veggie Stir Fry.

Hoping you had a wonderful weekend!!


Tricky Wolf said...

Great photos and nice post,
hope little Oliver is fit as a fiddle in no time,
have a great day :)

DeMarie said...

I'm in awe how you are juggling all of this...and all on limited sleep. Hopefully things will start to return to normal and your little guy continues healing. Wishing you continued success on the growth of your business. Eat your Wheaties, pop your vitamins, take 10 minutes a day to dream and remember to breathe. :-)

Unknown said...

I am so happy to hear your Ollie is improving ... haven"t been to the market in a few weeks because my moms garden has been supplying me with all the veggies I need but I also avoid Saratoga during racing season looking forward to see what you have in store for Christmas gift sets ... see you soon !!!!

daisy g said...

How great that Ollie had such a good report! Have you ever considered diapering him until he is off of his meds?

I wonder what you're doing with all of those tomatoes?! I admire your ability to grow so many, so easily. I haven't yet mastered that.

So glad to hear fall is on its way. I'm beyond ready for some cooler temps.

How exciting that J will soon be his own boss (or is that you?). ;0D

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

So glad to hear Oliver is getting stronger each day. So hard to (try to) keep them quiet. No reasoning skills!! :-) One day at a time is the best we can do. Take care of yourself, too!!

Unknown said...

Have you tried using baby diapers applied sideways or backwards since he is small. I am member of a Cavalier facebook and they rescue puppy mill dogs who are not trained and they use either disposable diapers or belly bands until they are trained. Might save Oliver his dignity.

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Thank you all. Yes Chris, one day at a time indeed! Daisy - that's our joke, that I'm the new boss. :) Diane - since the meds have worn off he is fine holding it. I don't think he would do well with a diaper. He thinks a harness is torture so I can't imagine what a diaper would do to him. Thank you for the suggestion though!! :)